Published on June 7, 2022 at 4:55 pm by LEW
If you have followed this series of posts, you should have leveled up. So It is time to venture out a little further afield.
From the last post you should have Dog Meat as a companion. You should also have two settlements (Sanctuary and the Red Rocket). You should be around level four to six. You should also have a variety of weapons and armor available to you at this point.
Choose Your Path
You have a couple of choices here as to how to proceed. You can do some work on one or both of your settlements (make sure to be well rested when working on them). You can proceed to Concord, and follow the story line (part of the Minute Men arc). Or you explore a little more of the local area to gain experience, and more stuff.
I am going to assume you are forgoing the story line for awhile, and you can build in your settlements at any time. So lets talk about further exploration.
Note the map is roughly divided into sectors. North West is Sector 1 and suitable for early game low level characters. If you move to far East and/or South, things become much more difficult.
From our last posts, we already know about the Red Rocket Truck Stop, Robot Disposal Ground, Sanctuary, and Vault 111.
You can find lots of immersive details, back stories, and other information in some of these locations we will be visiting. Almost none of it is overly relevant to the main story line, but it is interesting to examine. I am not listing any of this here, as that would make this post fairly long. But if so inclined, feel free to examine how the world fared after the bombs.
Note: Spoiler Alert.
Heading South, there are a several locations, still within Sector 1, to discover. Note that once you pass Walden Pond you are basically in Sector 4, and things will be more difficult. These places are below.
- Ranger Cabin: Crossing the bridge out of Sanctuary, and following the shore line to the South West, you should find the this place. Kill the insects. In the cabin you will find a magazine, and the remains of the runaway (listen to holotape if you want). Make sure to search the area for more loot.
- Wicked Shipping Fleet Lockup: This location is directly South of the Ranger Cabin. You can fight some feral ghouls and pick up some loot, including another magazine.
- Abernathy Farm: This location is East, and a little south of the Ranger Cabin. It is a potential settlement, You just need to do a task for Blake Abernathy.
- Groski’s Cabin: South East of Abernathy Farm. Kill some feral ghouls. In the cabin find the entrance to the root cellar. There is another magazine, and some unique junk.
- Walden Pond: Due south of Groski’s Cabin. Find the secret entrance, fight some raiders. Get a legendary weapon, another magazine, and some miscellaneous stuff.
- Sunshine trading Co- Op: West of Walden Pond, it is another possible settlement. Clear out some feral ghouls and insects. Pick up another magazine.
- Lonely Chapel: South West of Sunshine Trading Co-Op. This holds a secret entrance to a higher level dungeon, you might want to wait on this one.
Note that once you pass Tenpines bluff you are entering Sector 2.
- USAF_Satellite_Station_Olivia: South East of Robot Disposal Ground. A bunch of raiders to kill here. One has a mini gun, so beware. In addition to regular loot, you can find a fusion core, mini nuke, and magazine here.
- Thicket Excavation: This is a two prater. On your first visit it is flooded, and you can make some caps by helping to fix leaking pipes (under water). When you visit later, it has been drained, and you will have a bunch of raiders to fight. You can find another magazine also.
- Tenpines Bluff: East of Thicket Excavation, this is another potential settlement.
Going South East
Note once you pass Starlight Drive in you are entering Sector 5.
- Concord: Town just South East of Red Rocket. Has some raiders. If you follow the Minute Man arc, there is a death claw that shows up. Unless you are sufficiently leveled this can be a tough fight.
- Museum of Freedom: In Concord, this is the start of the Minute Man Story arc. If you are doing the story arc quest, you can get some nice loot; full set of T-45 power armor, mini gun, magazine, and bobble head.
- Bedford Station: South East of Thicket Excavation. Fight some feral ghouls, claim some loot.
- Drumilin Dinner: South of the Museum of Freedom. This is a merchant who is being threatened by some raiders. If you kill the raider, you can then trade at this location.
- Starlight Drive in: Another possible settlement. Kill the mole rats. This place is unique in that it has a large expanse of fairly flat open area, if you are into settlement building. It is also more central than Sanctuary.
Once you have visited all the sector one locations, you should be approaching level 10. You should have a wide array of weapons and armor to chose from.
In this play through, I have not yet gone to Concord or the Museum of Freedom. I am going to wait until I am much higher level before engaging in the Minute Man story arc.
Tebnpines and Abernathy farm have people, so visit them from time to time to pick up possible settlement radiant quests.
In the next installment I will discuss settlement building and management.